This isn’t as much of a submission, but it’s a call for help.
Some of you may have heard about the student who was assaulted and arrested at the University of Tennessee.
He was assaulted because a street preacher who regularly make appearances at the college had shut down an entire square of foot-traffic area and was screaming religiously-fueled hate at the students. It’s been reported that her screams have even caused professors to cancel classes because she is so disruptive.
The student in question reportedly rode his bicycle passed the cones of the shut-down area and said “Hey ma’am, if you’re trying to spread the good word, maybe you shouldn’t be telling everyone they’re sinners.” After this, campus police grabbed him off his bike, forced him to the ground, sprayed him with mace, and arrested him for inciting a riot.
This is absolutely ridiculous and disgusting. Please do something about it by signing this petition. We only need a few more signatures, so you can really make a difference!
Here’s an article on the story.
Thanks for your help!
So Leigh just informed me people are literally dying and not just mad cause they are hot, so from someone who literally lives in a desert, here is how to survive the heat without air conditioning
- drink a lot of water. The more you sweat, the more water your body loses, the less well your body can cope with extreme temperatures. Replenish.
- If you are indoors, dress down as far as you can. If this means literally being naked, go for it. Shorts, undies, tank tops, etc, whatever keeps your skin aired out. This helps you sweat less.
- Pull the blinds, close the curtains. Block out as much light as you can. Light is heat. Artificial lighting is better than natural light as far as temperature goes.
- That said, keep whatever indoor lights you can off.
- Try to avoid using the oven.
- If you are outdoors, wear a hat, cover your shoulders, pull your hair into a tight ponytail or take an umbrella to block the sun. Consider sunblock if available.
- Be aware of Reflective Burn, which is where the sun bounces off water and burns you from all new angles. Fun.
- If you can’t keep your house cool, try to take it easy. Get as comfortable as you can and try not to do anything physically strenuous that can be avoided. Avoid using blankets or covering your feet.
IMPORTANT! AVOID HYPERTHERMIA AND HEAT STROKE!
- If you feel dizzy or faint, GO INSIDE. If inside already, sit down till you feel a little better.
- If someone is able to, have them run you a lukewarm bath. Not a COLD bath, that could send you into shock, but a lukewarm bath. Run it yourself when you feel able to stand if there’s no one to help.
- Either sip saltwater or eat a small palmful of salt and drink water with it. Salt makes you retain more water. Eating salt can make you retain up to 4 lbs of water, maybe more. Don’t go overboard but you can use the extra water in this heat.
- Lay down, blankets off, with a cool rag on your forehead.
- If you are throwing up without signs of stopping or if you faint at any point or if anyone you know has these symptoms SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY. If you are excessively dizzy and cannot regain your balance or feel better after sitting for awhile SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY.
- Check in on friends and neighbors who may live alone to make sure they are okay.
Reblog to spread and add any other tips you may have.
Maggie wrote a good thing.
While on the unfortunate topic of stolen art, I suppose I’ll go ahead and ask a 4th of July favor. If you see fireworks with Lackadaisy art on the packaging, please don’t buy it. The art is stolen - no less than 7 different paintings. I’ve known about this for about a year, but so far all attempts to contact the manufacturer/distributor have yielded no response or left me at voice messaging dead ends.
These photos are from someone who spotted them and was kind enough to contact me about it.
Jake’s Fireworks is the name of the company, and they appear to do their own manufacturing in China (which ostensibly means they create their own packaging too).
The product listing is here on their site and in their wholesale catalog.
Please don’t send any well-intentioned emails to them or anything. I’m trying to resolve this without resorting to anger and threatening messages. Jake’s Fireworks distributes all over the place, though, so I’m just putting out a request for anyone who might be in the market for holiday fireworks to not buy any with stolen art on them. =/